Saturday, October 3, 2009

DRIVESOFT (chad spindler)



I like new technology like many 20 something year old males but when I saw the Drivesoft system I was floored. This is a complete car computer and stereo system for your vehicle; with 3g speed Internet, xm, gps, cd, dvd, local radio and HD radio. All this and more is consolidated in a small in dash head unit. People have been putting computer in there cars for years as soon as they made computers and monitors small enough people were installing them into there car. I’ve been looking into using a small apple computer to run my audio and video system in my car for a few years now but have not gone through with it do to the fact that non of the hardware that I was going to use was made for a car and was all going to be trial and error until I got it right. You can’t just take your car to a dealer to get your apple computer to work.

The Drivestoft system works like the computer that you have at home and runs on windows, the only real difference is the interface or the screen you look at when your looking at your computers main screen. My home computer has icons for Iphoto, trash, and Itunes. The Drivesoft system has a screen with icons that take you to navigation, XM, or Internet explorer. When clicking on an icon like music the computer pulls up all the music that you have loaded into the computers hard drive like Itunes does. Because Drivesoft is a computer you have the power to set it up however you like and also add hardware like your computer at home.

This new technology will start to change the way people drive, and think about driving. A cell phone running on network with Drivesoft can be used to do anything from start the car too adjust the AC before you get in on those cold winter mornings. As every year goes by and the amount of hours people dive increase people will be able to get more work done in traffic and have the ability to reach the world while driving down the 405 freeway with no need to squint at a small Iphone screen.


2 comments:

  1. Wow this is really awsome, I would kind of feel like a dispatcher of some sort! I definately would be distracted and crash. I hope it doesn't drain my car battery. It's so wierd that we try to take a computer everywhere we go; laptop, phone, and now the car! This is really cool where technology is heading, but shouldn't our brain be on the road?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is crazy, there is far too much going on in it. I think this of course sounds like a good idea in thoery, but do we really want more stuff in peoples cars to distract them. I mean its already been proving that most of the population isn't able to talk on their phone while driving. By adding this into the mix, giving all these uncoordinated people more things to look and more buttons to tweak and play with, it just seems like a lot. I'm sure it's helpful and that some people could use it without being a bad driver. I'm just not sure as a mass that everyone would be able to keep focused on the road ahead.

    ReplyDelete