Monday, October 5, 2009

Doesn't Anyone Read Anymore? (Irvin Burton)

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a nerd. I'd much rather spend my Saturday night researching ways to improve my fitness and fighting skills than go to the local pub and have a few drinks. Not that I ignore this "fun" of course; I go night clubs once a week at least. But I can't believe people no longer read for entertainment purposes. Most people I know spend as much time in front of the television as I spend sleeping(8 hours). Why is this? Why do people spend 90% of their lives in front of the television or out drinking themselves stupid? Books are great entertainment. Now I'm not saying that one should spend their entire lives reading books. There is more to life than that. But there is so much knowledge to be attained from reading books it's a wonder why more people don't do it. One example of my reading books is that I've improved the quality of my martial arts skills; particularly in close range combat. Being tall and somewhat lanky(although working out with weights has changed that a lot), Punching and kicking techniques worked great for me; that is until someone moved in close. I had a hard time sparring in free fighting matches(matches where a practitioner of one art fights against a practitioner of another art, i.e. Judo vs Kickboxing) with people who had wrestling and other grappling skills. I did something about it: I researched different fighting skills and was able to improve the quality of my martial arts. I no longer worried when someone got in close because now I had the skills to fight. I certainly didn't learn this from television!
I find that people spend more money on fashion than on knowledge. Have books really become a thing of the past? So far, there are plenty of them left, but how far do we have to go? I'm seeing fewer and fewer adults in the bookstore now. If we paid as much attention to knowledge as we did to high fashion, people would make smarter choices. Particularly about fitness, health self defense and of course Hollywood fashion

1 comment:

  1. I happen to agree with you on this. I do my best not to drive on weekends, so during a bus ride I counted just that. Out of 30 people riding the bus, a male in his late 30’and myself were the only ones holding a book and reading it. The rest of the passengers were not thinking, talking, or looking at the view; they were either listening to their colorful Ipods, or texting with their colorful phones and other gadgets. I think that reading is in deed becoming a thing of the past, and too many brains are being lost in the arms of new technologies.

    ReplyDelete