Monday, October 26, 2009

Body Glide by Kathleen

300.jpg

The first time I ever heard about this product was when I ran a 10K race 4 years ago, but the person who told me about it thought my son should use it so he would not chafe in the chest or more delicate areas. I figured I am the one wearing a bra, if anyone is going to have chafing problems it will be me, not him. We both tried it and now any run more than 6 miles he uses it because he does chafe, and any run over 3 miles I use it because no matter what type bra I wear, if I do not use it I will have lots of chafing marks. It truly does help, but the longer the run, it does need to be re-applied.

What gets me though is in its advertising and packaging this product seems to be geared more to men than women. The colors are blue, black and gray and the writing is a bold type. If one goes to their web site the first thing there is pictures of men playing sports. The pictures change and there are pictures of women doing sports but the first page the only pic of a woman is the bottom of her legs as she is dancing with a man. It is as though men in athletics is all important and women in athletics, not so much. When I am running I see more women than men running, and with the fact that we need to run with bras for support, I would think there is more of a need for female runners to use the product than male because a male does not need to use anything if it is a shorter run like a 5K and a female does. It is interesting to me that there are more women than men and so many women are participating in sports, I would think the company might want to celebrate that on their web site but they don't. They are missing out on a lot of business not tapping into the female athletic base. It sort of reminds me of basketball, the hoopla that surrounds male basketball, where women's basketball is there but rarely gets mentioned. How much press do the Lakers get compared to women's basketball?? ( I don't even know the name of one female basketball team but I can name off ten male teams and I don't even follow basketball)

No comments:

Post a Comment