Monday, October 5, 2009

Blood Promise (Jennifer Mendez)


Blood Promise is the 4th installment in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. During the time of the Twilight series, a vampire novel craze has begun. I have loved vampire novels since I was in high school and this book is a great addition to my collection. Avid readers will notice many typing and grammatical errors in the first two books, but the third and the fourth have had better editing. While this is not a book for people in serious need of mental stimulation, it serves greatly for people who need light reading in order to get through the day.
There is something I'm very interested in. What is the appeal of male vampires to young women? Is this only for women? I noticed that in most vampire books, the primary vampires are males that have a lot of sex-appeal. Would a vampire series with a sexy female vampire be not as profitable? I also observed the feedback loop as had on these novels. A while back, the Vampire novels wereleft up to Anne Rice. Someone caught on and threw the whole genre into the spotlight. What was once an interesting read became ammunition for the media to advocate a stereotype to young men and women. The age old stereotype of women liking a "bad boy" is blasted everywhere now more than ever and a vampire seems to be the ultimate bad boy.

1 comment:

  1. I have read this series and am in the middle of this book. I think they are still geared towards girls by the "girl power" we can do these things too ideas. I also think that some guys dont read for fun and those who do would rather read some war or horror books. Also video games seem to be pushing books into a black hole.

    ReplyDelete