Saturday, September 26, 2009

Lysol disinfecting wipes

Photobucket
Lysol disinfecting wipes are said to be “tough on messes” and for “kitchen and bathroom” use. There are 2 varieties in terms of scent: Citrus or Spring Waterfall. They come in packages of 35, 80, or 110 wipes and range from roughly $4 to $8. I have seen them in all the drug stores I’ve been to such as Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS, etc. Many stores have their own brand of disinfecting wipes as well. When I went to the Lysol website I was bombarded with swine flu and other “germ” information with links to reputable sources such as the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO). The claim that Lysol wipes kill up to 99.9% of germs is definitely a big selling point.

Our society is seemingly obsessed with germs, or the lack thereof. I have Clorox wipes at home, but the idea of posting this product came to me when I saw a woman in my class carrying a container of Lysol wipes with her. When I asked her about it she mentioned that she does have three kids and with swine flu going around you can never be too careful. She went on to tell me that she never touches any surface with her hands, especially in the bathrooms. She carries the wipes around in order to disinfect any doorknobs or elevator buttons she may come in contact with throughout the day. The day after I spoke to this woman in my class I heard someone on the radio talking about the exact same thing. I thought it was interesting that so many people are so concerned about germs that they have developed tactics to avoid contact with commonly touched surfaces. The man on the radio was giving tips such as pressing elevator buttons with his foot (which does not help the people who press the buttons with their fingers after him) and pushing doors open by reaching as high as he can since most people do not touch the door there. Hearing his discussion made me want to call in and suggest that he buy himself some Lysol wipes.

As a society I definitely think that we are concerned about our health and protecting ourselves from other people and their germs and the hype has recently increased with the swine flu scare. We cannot live in a bubble, but marketers use our fear to their advantage to advertise and sell their products such as Lysol disinfecting wipes.

BY: Anna Kirshon

5 comments:

  1. You're defiantly right that Lysol and other similar companies take advantage of the public's anxieties of germs and illness. Presumably, those said products are seeing a boom in popularity, since swine flu, and avian flu before it, came into the country's consciousness.

    I wonder if the same people who use Lysol regularly take additional preventative measures (i.e. washing their hands properly, sneezing or coughing into the crux of their elbows). Furthermore, do they know that preventative measures are not enough, and its corollary of an active, healthy lifestyle, must also be implemented: eating an organic, unadulterated diet; having a regular exercise regimen; spending time in nature; having a full night's sleep, etc.?

    Americans seem to focus on easy fixes that only address the symptoms but not the underlying causes. Too often we aren't willing to commit to changing our long-standing habits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post. I consider myself somewhat of a germaphobe and the media plays on germ fears. I hear all the tips and it's kinda like, "wow, this is getting kinda extreme." Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH!! my mom uses these all the time, she cleans almost everything with these wipes. She sometimes tells me to use them when I go out with the car or after I use the phone..."its not like Im sick all the time" I tell her, and it sometimes gets annoying. I use them when I'm cleaning but not almost everyday, which is what my momma does. She cleans the fridge handle, the phones, the pot handle sometimes too. But anyway, she buys the package at Costco, I think it comes with 2 or 3 bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lysol disinfecting wipes work great! I am some what of a clean freak, and these wipes come in handy. I definetly recommend them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I feel like such a clean freak! I have a container of the disinfecting wipes in my car, in my room, my gym bag, my work locker and don't let me get started with my hand sanitizer! That's really bizzare to push an elevator button with your foot (maybe that is why our elevators malfunction). It's funny when you see commercials about killing germs and they play scary music and make it seem like germs are little evil people who want to take over our kitchens or bathrooms haha. Green, dirty, and ugly little characters who can be defeated in one easy wipe of Lycol's disinfecting wipes! I hope I don't die of all the chemicals from this disinfecting lifestyle

    ReplyDelete