Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Designer Jeans? (Irvin Burton)

There's a new trend sweeping the nation...or at least Department Stores; the selling of "designer jeans." I have noticed that some people will spend large amounts of money (money they don't have by the way) on jeans that price tags marked as high as $215! Who in their right mind would spend that much money on one pair of jeans? I mean in my mind 50$ Jeans are pushing it. I would say at most a 20 dollar bracket would top out one pair of jeans for me. But when jeans become $135-215$, I say it's time to look elswhere. Now I don't think that people shouldn't wear designer jeans. I myself own many pairs of designer jeans. However, I do not believe in paying more for them than the cost of your car note every month. I don't understand how someone can pay so much for something that they may grow out of in the next few years. And it may not even be the fact that they got fatter; it may be that they just don't like the style anymore.

Another problem with these so called designer jeans is that many of these jeans have holes and tears in them. It's almost like saying "Hey everyone, pre-ripped jeans!" This is by far the strangest trend I've ever seen; even for the fashion world. The fact that people are willing to pay those prices only reinforces the idea that Americans are materialistic and don't think logically. I'll continue to get my designer clothes from the clearance racks and I'll never intentionally pay over $50 for a pair of "designer jeans.

3 comments:

  1. Designer Jeans costing over a hundred dollars is over priced and over the top. I myself own designer clothing but i would never pay over a 100 bucks for a pair of designer jeans. With the way the economy is right now people should learn to save and spend their money wisely. Job security is a thing of the past and saving money is the best thing to do these days. Many people are struggling to make ends meet and just to think of spending a lot of money for a pair of jeans is really unreasonable. I am not saying that buying designer clothing is wrong, all I am trying to say is that don't buy at a full price. You can go online, go to outlets, or wait for sales and discounts that way you can save a lot of money. The media plays a big role in creating the being "cool" image which then influences us consumers to follow the image and the trend they are creating. We should not let this influence and dictate the way we live our lives. We need to face the reality and focus on our priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I myself don't buy jeans over $40, I can see why some people would.

    And with regards to the pre-ripped jeans, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are structurally inferior. If it was a well crafted garment, the holes could work--if that was the look someone was going for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think people wear these jeans because there is a big infatuation with measuring up to hollywood. I mean, who really cares about the tag on a pair of jeans, as long as they fit well and can last for more than a few months. However, there are too many people who are willing to drop a couple hundred dollars on a pair of jeans to stay in the game. I personally love fashion, but at a reasonable cost and that fits my personality. Fashion will continue to change, so what was trendy last spring, will eventually be recycled in some new generation. people should just wear what makes them comfortable, rather that what the new trend or fad is.

    ReplyDelete