Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Blog 2: Tickle Me Elmo

The Tyco toy, Tickle Me Elmo's craze began in 1996. I'm sure everyone remembers that holiday season's insane mothers and fathers at the department stores waiting for the doors to open. This toy was the "must have" that season, and even began many fights and problems at stores.

So what is it that made this toy such a craze? In 1996, this toy was selling for $28.99, where online it was being sold for as high as $1,500! Tickle Me Elmo laughs and vibrates when it is squeezed. In 2006, Matel introduced the "TMX" Tickle Me Elmo, Extreme. The TMX rolls around on the floor laughing, and hitting it's fist on the ground, as well as begging for the "tickling" to stop. Though there have been many versions of the Tickle Me Elmo in recent years, The most recent one came out in the holiday season of 2007. This holiday edition of the Tickle Me Elmo had hidden surprises of what the Elmo could do. Elmo would tell a riddle/rhyme and the child must do as they are told in order to make Elmo laugh, after abiding by all those riddles, there would be a surprise at the end.

The Tickle Me Elmo has gone on to make quite the empire, including many variations of the Tickle Me Elmo, Elmo's Tickle Hands, Elmo Live, Potty Elmo, Elmo Keychains, Shout! Elmo, Learn to Dress Elmo, Etc. The list goes on and on.

Elmo is a widely known character on Sesame Street, I do not feel he liked acording to a gender. Though HE is semed to be gender specific, his viewers and buyers are diverse in race and gender.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elmo is an interesting doll...a bit hit in my home....i've often wondered about his gender...there are very few cues that frame Elmo as a male....possibly the "o" in his name is the biggest one....certaintly not his voice ...do others on the show refer to Elmo as "he"...i'll have to start taking note of that...to me he's an ambiguous doll ...i wonder how Sesame Street decided upon his color....what other colors were the puppeteers considering when they created Elmo????Yes, Elmo is interesting! "La-la-la-la....la-la-la-la, that's Elmo's world..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the comment above me..I also think that elmo is a male and I wish I would have had one of those when I was young. They look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nydia's comment in class about the primary Sesame Street characters being all male is really interesting. I had never thought of that. If you think about it, most of the actors in the roles of humans are also male: Mr. Hooper, Bob, and that Hero Guy who does "letter of the day" at the end. Now there's "Gabby" but her part is not that big....what's up with Sesame Street?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the comment in class, Rachel McClure.. the one who wrote this article. I wanted to back up my previously made statement why I felt Elmo was a male.
    When I was younger, I honestly don't think there were any female characters. You mentioned "Zoe" ... I've never herd of her!! Sesame street needs to get with the program, more females!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched S.Street when I was a youngster, and I just recently found out that elmo is a monster. My two niece's and eventually my new nephew are in to Elmo stuff. The product I think has some subtle conotations is the vibrating chair. My niece has one, its funny and disturbing at the same time. I've always been an Oscar the grouch person!

    ReplyDelete