Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Blog 2


Apples to Apples

According to the product review it's an award winning card game that is "easy as comparing apples to apples." The age range is suggested is 12+ and you need 4-10 players. The product review does not do this game justice, it is so much fun!




The Game Consists of 749 Red cards with person, place, thing or events on them and Green cards with a characteristic of a person, place thing or event on them, plus a few blank cards so you can personalize your game. There are a few variations listed on how you can play so the game truly never gets old. The basic way to play is everyone gets seven red cards, then a green card is flipped and all but the judge for that turn place a card facedown that they think represents the green card the best. The role of judge is rotated to the next person each round. The judge chooses the winning card (on whatever grounds they want) meanwhile the other people can try to persuade the judge. The winner gets the green card and whoever gets 4-8 cards first depending on the number of players wins.

This game can be purchased anywhere board games are typically sold; Target, Toys R Us, Wal-Mart or Online just to name a few places. The Suggested retail is $29.99 plus you can buy expansion packs of cards with 576 all-new cards for $21.99; however I play this game often and have not needed the expansion pack yet because there are about an infinte combination of cards that can occur. The game is published by Mattel but when I bought the game it was being published by "out of the box publishing" so I am guessing Mattel bought it out recently. There is also a junior version of the game for kids age 9+, a Jewish edition and a Bible Edition. It was named "Party Game of the Year" in 1999 by Games Magazine and the National Parenting Center gave it the seal of approval the same year.[i]

Here is a classic example of the game that happened last time I played. The green card is "powerful" in my hand I do not remember all the cards so let's say they are; rubber gloves, piranha, Jimmy Stewart, watermelons, Reading a Book, Fuzz and Superman-- I remember I had superman because that was the card I picked. I pick what I think is the obvious, superman. Well my friend was the judge and there were some substantial cards but she decided the most "powerful" card was the FBI... I threw a bit of a temper tantrum, how is the FBI more powerful than superman!! We are a group of people in our 20's girls and boys who were seriously debating this issue among many others.
I chose this product because although it cost $30 you actually end up saving money by staying in and playing instead of going out. This may make me sound like a dork, which I am but if anyone else is strapped for cash or just likes to laugh this is a great party game whether the people playing just met or have been friends since diapers.






______________________________________
[i] Information borrowed from Wikipedia

3 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    what a great post! I have not heard of this game before but it sounds like the kind of game that estimulates your intellect and builds up your argumentative skills -not that I need more of those...
    I will try to remember to stop by a toy store and invest $30 dollars to have this game ready next time I have friends over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE apples to apples. It's so fun. One of the best games out there.
    Did you know that at the end of the game, the green cards you have are supposed to describe you and your personality. It's not really true, but... really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here Here!
    This is a great game that really does bring out different sides of people as you play. Going off what Rachel said, I could definitely see that being true to some degree.
    I think people, more often then not, end up picking/getting primo red cards (nouns) that match perfectly on adjectives (green cards).
    There are always exceptions to this rule - but for anyone that's interested in trying this game, I'll bet you that women will end up more (but not all) of the feminine adjectives and same for the men.
    I think it's just because, everyone takes turns being the dealer/picker. And men choose other men's cards, and the same it true for women.

    ReplyDelete